Artist Research: Movement/Motion

Sunday 4 October 2015


Heather Hansen (Interview with the Raw Book) 
How did you come to adopt ‘Kinetic Drawing’ as your primary style?‘Kinetic Drawing’ is just lack of a better word, any drawing is kinetic, it could be ‘Body Drawing’ but I just stick with ‘Kinetic’. I discovered it through a series of events, the first one being when I moved here from France. I was in a year of transition. I really didn’t want to move back to the States, I came back kicking and screaming. There was a boy involved. I was just having a really hard time so I decided I needed some daily practice that would help me transition. I started to keep a journal and everyday I would dance or do yoga and draw. I decided to commit to it for a year, so I made it public and sooner or later I started winding the two together. Instead of doing one and then the other the just kind of came together. I was doing a lot of drawing in my sketchbooks to music, like dancing but just with my hands on small scale. Then I went to the beach with my son and we were playing in the sand and I was drawing with my toes. That’s kind of when I realised I should go bigger and do this with my whole body. It’s been a long process of discovery finding out what I think looks good and what just looks messy. There’s still a lot left to explore too. 
Heather HansenHeather Hansen
Images from here 

Interview with lululemon: 
We’re designed to move and move a lot, all the time, and I feel better when I do.
A lot of times when you’re in a difficult transition, it’s because you’re hanging on to the past. This practice was a way to centre me now and move forward.
Drawing is a way to journal the feelings and experiences that I’m having without being too linear – it’s an expressive way to get it out of my body.
She was inspired by playing in the sand on the beach. She feels that more artist are exploring themes towards movement of embodied arts.
Bruce Shapiro:

THE ART OF MOTION CONTROL

"Motion Control" is an industry term for computer-controlled movement in applications like robotics and CNC.  This technology has revolutionized  industrial  production and design,  but until recently was extremely expensive and complex.
DSC_3736.JPGIMG_1103.JPG




Inspiration

Shylights: Beautiful Unfolding Kinetic Lights That Bloom like Flowers

bloom-2

 Copper kinetic wind sculpture.  I really want one of these for my garden.  I saw one in action at a local greenhouse and love it!:

Edison’s Cradle? A Kinetic Toy Reinvented with Light

flippy-2dancing-1-colossal

Post a Comment