Reflections: Topic of Focus/ Self Discovery

Wednesday 23 September 2015

After much reflection and trying to link my topic back to "Home", I've realised that I'm not very interested in devoting an entire year to working on it. I used to be able to relate to the topic, being home & homesick or being close to my family, but sadly, it's something I've drifted away from. When I look at the mind map I've created (see 2 posts before), I feel more compelled to work from the angle of "Self Discovery"- which can be seen in my thought process towards the bottom key words of the mind map.

In an attempt to try to link my new mind map and thoughts together: 
Self discovery- breaking down self & discovery: Self, refers to a person's essential being that distinguishes from others: as an objective form of introspection or reflexive action. To discover is to locate, come across or to stumble upon. 
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs talks about the motivations of a person without the circumstance of any gains involved. At the top of the pyramid is Self Actualization, which is what I'm basing my research on. Hence, to properly marry the two words, "Self" and "Discovery" together, one can define it is the state of Self Actualization. 
Self Actualization can be be attained through various methods of Self Reflection. Methods of reaching Self Actualization include Meditation (through the use of Mandalas, relating to the circle and self) and reaching one's subconcious/unconscious state of mind (Carl Jung, Sigmund Frued theory) through dreaming. Taking a step further, I want to push the boundaries of dreaming to a physical place of being able to act one's dreams out. This place is called Lucid Dreaming.

The importance of reflecting:
Reflecting is the act of contemplating/thinking deeply about one's self, actions, thoughts and behaviours. Reflecting enables the mind to be brain storm about the an issue, create a mental map and sieve out the clutter, pin pointing what's truly important.

Reflective Practice might also be called, and is synonymous with or similar to:
  • personal reflection
  • self-review
  • self-awareness
  • self-criticism or self-critique
  • self-appraisal
  • self-assessment
  • intra-personal awareness
  • personal cognisance/cognizance
  • reflective dialogue
  • critical evaluation
  • self-analysis of our thoughts, feelings, actions, performance, etc

Some acts of reflecting:
Borton defines reflecting as a "developmental process of paying attention to and learning through everyday experiences, with the goal of realizing of a vision of practice as a lived reality." It asks one about "What? So what? Now what?" These also include mirroring and paraphrasing.

Post a Comment